Friday, August 10

Sleepless Nights *ENCRYPTED ENTRY*

These song lyrics play over and over in my head: "But tonight I'm gonna give in one last time
Rock you strong in these arms of mine
Forget all the regrets that are bound to follow
We're like fire and gasoline
I'm no good for you
You're no good for me
We only bring each other tears and sorrow
But tonight, I'm gonna love you like there's no tomorrow....."


I lay awake staring at the ceiling. I mutter to myself, "This won't do at all." I roll out of bed and wander outside to stare at the ocean waves crashing on the beach in the moonlight. My thoughts travel to places that they should not even dare to go. I run my hand over my now empty abdomen. Tears slowly slip down my cheeks. The pain is unbearable.

I want to run away from it all. Madeleine is safely away with my father. He asked to take her for a few days to bond more with her. I'm sure Norrin is out working, trying to forget everything that has happened. I'm left all alone.

I wander back into the moonlit living room, not bothering to turn on any lights. I find my datapad and run my fingers over it. Should I? No! I throw it on the couch and pace back and forth. I make my way to the window where my flower has slightly wilted over. I graze it with my fingertips and sigh. This cannot continue. I have to know. I scoop up my datapad and head back to the bedroom. I dress in my normal attire and shrug on my coat. I catch the first shuttle to The Broken Piano.

**********

I walk in, slightly wincing as I feel the pain from several bruises I got when I fell to the concrete shuttle bay floor. My throat still stings. The doctors assured me I would make a full recovery and would sing again. Thank the gods for that.

As always, there is William, standing behind the bar, sipping his cup of tea and observing everyone. I consider him a good friend and respect his opinion greatly. One look at my neck and he's questioning me on what has happened, requesting I take a personal security drone from now on. He asks the name of the man who did this to me. I refuse to tell him, but promise that I will think about it. This answer seems to satisfy him. Still, his eyes maintain that knowing look. I request to speak with him privately and we talk of life and love. He reveals his recent observations to me and I neither confirm nor deny anything. I question him about Norrin's hasty departure two nights ago and he shrugs and gives me more cryptic answers about him not liking what he was implying. I can understand that. Not everyone gets William's type of philosophy on life.

He offers me a bottle of wine as a gift. To share with friends or family, he says. More cryptic words. He knows exactly who pops into my mind first. I thank him and we leave his office, heading back out to the bar. I send off a quick message and the reply comes instantly. I glance up at William, standing there with his all knowing looks. I murmur something about having to go and he nods. I exit the bar and head off to the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment