Thursday, September 6

Healing

As I sit in the examination room, my heart begins to pound and questions begin to course through my head. Has my body truly healed from the attack? Will I be able to have children again? I sigh and fidget a bit in my chair. Unable to remain seated any longer, I get up and begin pacing the room. I stop abruptly as the door opens. The doctor enters and motions for me to sit again. He sits at his desk facing me.

"Ms. Raske. I am pleased to tell you that there was no lasting damage from the assault upon your person." He smiles at me.

I let out a breath and smile back, "Thank you so much, Doctor." I go to get up and he stops me.

"However, I have some interesting news for you." He pauses and hands me a datapad with my medical results on it. I quickly skim through them.

"Pregnant?!" I nearly drop it on the floor, "I'm pregnant? When is the baby due?"

He smiles again and chuckles, "Babies, Ms. Raske. You're pregnant with twins."

My mouth drops open, "Babies?" I place my hand over my abdomen.

The doctor's smile never leaves his face, "Yes, twins. Identical, according to our results. We should know the gender in a few weeks' time, should you wish to return then. We would like to monitor your condition closely and I would fully advise that you rest as much as possible. I assume this comes as a bit of a surprise?"

I nod, "Yes...it does. It's not what I was expecting to hear, but I'm sure that everything will be fine."

"And you have somewhere to go? Someone to take care of you?" He raises an eyebrow.

I smile softly at the thought, "Yes...I'm sure he will be thrilled with the news."

************************************************************

And I was correct. He was thrilled. I've never seen him so happy before. He's excited about being a father and cannot wait to raise our children together.

So, I am beginning to heal, both emotionally and physically. My heart is growing whole. In a way, I feel like my lost little boy has given me two reasons to live now. And while I will always wonder about the child I lost, I now have two more children to love and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment